Stewardship Fund Grants support public efforts to manage stormwater, control pollution and improve water quality and habitat. The MWMO offers three types of Stewardship Fund Grants for eligible applicants, with grant awards ranging from a maximum of $3,000 to $50,000, depending on the nature of the project.
Eligible grant applicants include nonprofits, business and professional associations, officially recognized neighborhood groups, schools and local units of government located inside the MWMO watershed. See our Eligibility and Selection Criteria page for details.
As a general rule, Stewardship Fund Grant projects must meet all three of the following criteria:
- Develop partnerships with community organizations
- Protect or improve the quality of water, habitat, and natural resources
- Build community understanding, knowledge, and initiative related to water, habitat, and natural resource issues and solutions
The MWMO offers three different types of Stewardship Fund Grants.
- Mini Grants — Available for short-term or small-scale water quality projects. The grant amount may not exceed $3,000. No matching funds are required.
- Planning Grants — Available to plan for a project, significant in scope and cost. The outcome of these grants may be used to complete either a Stewardship Fund Action Grant with the MWMO (application required) or for a project with another funder. The grant amount may not exceed $10,000. Some matching funds are required.
- Action Grants — Available to complete a project, significant in scope and cost. The grant amount may not exceed $50,000. Some matching funds are required.
Full requirements can be found on our Eligibility Requirements page.
To obtain a Stewardship Fund grant from MWMO, applicants generally follow this process:
- Contact the MWMO to discuss your project idea that meets one or more of the grant purposes listed above and/or attend an information session.
- Submit a completed pre-application form that matches the grant type you wish to apply for (Mini, Planning, or Action). The pre-application helps the MWMO decide if a project meets our program purposes and can be realistically accomplished.
- Coordinate with MWMO staff to decide if a meeting and/or a visit to your project site would help the application process.
- Complete a full application if your project is selected to move ahead by the MWMO.
- Wait for the MWMO to tell you if your project was selected for a grant.
- Attend an orientation session to learn how you will partner with the MWMO to use your grant funds, how to track project expenses, and what other resources are available to help grant recipients.
- Review and sign an agreement with the MWMO.
- Begin your project activities.
Applicants are strongly encouraged to contact the MWMO to discuss ideas and ask questions before submitting a pre-application.
Frequently Asked Questions – Stewardship Fund Grants
(PDF, 0.2 MB, 2 pages)
Stewardship Fund Brochure
(PDF, 1.4 MB, 2 pages)