Are you passionate about protecting our rivers, lakes and streams? Would you enjoy working beside others who share your interest? If so, the MWMO welcomes you to submit a Volunteer Application to join us on projects as needs arise. Your enthusiasm, skills and commitment will make a big difference in protecting natural habitats, the creatures who live there and the water resources we all share.
Volunteers from all backgrounds are invited to apply. No matter their role, our volunteers create a better future for everyone. Ideal MWMO volunteers are people that:
- Enjoy helping others and work well with a variety of people.
- Are interested in learning more about the Mississippi River watershed.
- Are committed to making a positive difference in our world.
Consider which of these general categories of volunteering appeal most to you? We’ve included examples to give you an idea of potential volunteer roles.
- Providing help at the MWMO site: Answering phones, filing, welcoming visitors to MWMO exhibits, giving tours.
- Supporting habitat and stormwater management systems: Planting, weeding, digging up soil for gardens or to plant trees, cleaning out filters or other outdoor activities.
- Have other skills you’d like to offer? Sharing technical skills, consulting on projects, offering comments on proposed policies or laws or something we’ve never thought of!
Here’s how to become an MWMO volunteer:
- Download the documents on this page, including the Volunteer Manual Receipt and Acknowledgement, the Volunteer Training Manual and the Volunteer Application.
- Read the training guide to learn more about the MWMO Volunteer program.
- Sign the Volunteer Training Manual form.
- Complete the Volunteer Application so we learn more about your interests, experience and availability.
- Email the signed form and your application to email@example.com.
- MWMO staff will contact you to let you know your materials were received and about next steps, depending on your interests and qualifications.
- If your interest matches an opening, you’ll meet with a staff person to learn more.
- Background checks will be conducted in a professional and confidential manner in conjunction with the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension. If a background check is determined to be necessary, it will be performed with the volunteer’s prior knowledge and permission.
There’s plenty of work to do! While you’re waiting for an MWMO volunteer opportunity, we invite you to make a difference in protecting water with our partners, too. Sign up to receive news about these opportunities around the metro.
MWMO Volunteer Training Manual (PDF, 1.6 MB, 13 pages)
MWMO Volunteer Manual Receipt and Acknowledgement Form (PDF, 0.1 MB, 1 page)
MWMO Volunteer Application Form (PDF, 0.2 MB, 4 pages)