Mississippi Watershed Management Organization

About the MWMO Programs Publications Links Home
 

Stewardship Fund

Planning Grants

Action Grants

Frequently Asked Questions (PDF)

MWMO Watershed Map (PDF)

Information Sessions

Awarded Projects

Grantee Page


Connect with us!

TwitterFacebookYouTube

Email Signup


Mini Grants Overview

Mini Grants Overview Printable Version

Mini Grants are available for short-term or small-scale water quality projects. The grant amount may not exceed $3,000. No matching funds required.

How to Apply for a Mini Grant

Mini Grant Pre-Application
Mini Grant Budget Form

Submit a pre-application form to the MWMO. The pre-application assists the MWMO in determining if a project meets our program purposes and can be realistically accomplished.

Pre-applications will be reviewed by MWMO staff. The MWMO will invite selected pre-applicants to complete a full application. Full applications will be reviewed and grant recipients selected by MWMO staff.

Application Timelines

Cycle 1 Review
Pre-applications due: Monday, November 16, 2015 by 4:30 p.m.
Invitation to submit full applications: Monday, December 7, 2015
If selected for full application, a meeting will be required with MWMO staff prior to full application due date.
Full applications due: Friday, January 18, 2016 by 4:30 p.m.
Notifications of grant awards: Monday, February 1, 2016

Cycle 2 Review
Pre-applications due: Monday, April 11, 2016 by 4:30 p.m.
Invitation to submit full applications: Monday, April 25, 2016
If selected, for full application, a meeting will be required with MWMO staff prior to the full application due date.
Full applications due: Thursday, May 26, 2016 by 4:30 p.m.
Notifications of grant awards: Thursday, June 10, 2016

Project Examples

The following are examples of projects that have received a Mini Grant. These examples are provided simply as general ideas and are not meant to limit the possibilities or creativity of applicants. See awarded Mini Grants.

  • Community events, such as clean-ups, festivals, invasive plant removal/restoration
  • Leadership programs for young people or underserved communities
  • Educational and technical training (including workshops) for all ages
  • Art or media projects depicting water and natural resource issues
  • Installation of small Best Management Practices (BMP's) demonstrations e.g., rainbarrels, raingardens, pervious pavers)
  • Engagement processes that help identify water and natural resource issues of concern to a community
  • Educational signs or brochures to explain water quality improvement projects

Funding

No matching funds required.

Grant recipients will receive their payment in two installments. For projects up to $500, 75 percent at the beginning of the agreement and the remaining 25 percent upon submission and MWMO approval of completion. For projects $500 and over, 50 percent at the beginning of the agreement and the remaining 50 percent upon submission and MWMO approval of completion.

Funding can only be used for activities that occur after the Agreement has been signed.

Applicants are strongly encouraged to contact the MWMO to discuss ideas and ask questions in advance of submitting a Pre-Application.

For questions or more information, please contact:
Tamara Schmitz, Program Specialist: Stewardship & Community Outreach
612-746-4988 or tschmitz@mwmo.org

 

About the MWMO Contact the MWMOMember CommunitiesHome

Mississippi Watershed Management Organization
2522 Marshall Street NE
Minneapolis, Minnesota 55418-3329
Phone: 612-465-8780
Fax: 612-465-8785