Mini Grants are available for short-term or small-scale water quality projects. The grant amount may not exceed $3,000. No matching funds are required.
Spring Application Schedule
Due Friday, Feb. 24, 2017, by 4:30 p.m.
Invitation to submit full applications: Friday, March 17, 2017
If selected for full application, a meeting will be required with MWMO staff prior to full application due date.
Due Friday, May 5, 2017, by 4:30 p.m.
Notifications of grant awards: begins Wednesday, May 24, 2017
How to Apply
Submit a completed pre-application form to the MWMO. The pre-application assists the MWMO in determining if a project meets our program purposes and can be realistically accomplished.
Pre-applications will be reviewed by MWMO staff. The MWMO will invite selected pre-applicants to complete a full application. Full applications will be reviewed and grant recipients selected by MWMO staff.
Mini Grant Pre-Application (DOCX, 4 MB, 2 pages)
The following are examples of projects that have received a Mini Grant. These examples are provided simply as general ideas and are not meant to limit the possibilities or creativity of applicants:
- community events, such as clean-ups, festivals, invasive plant removal/restoration;
- leadership programs for young people or underserved communities;
- educational and technical training (including workshops) for all ages;
- art or media projects depicting water and natural resource issues;
- installation of small best management practices demonstrations (i.e. rainbarrels, raingardens, pervious pavers);
- engagement processes that help identify water and natural resource issues of concern to a community; and
- educational signs or brochures to explain water quality improvement projects.
Visit our projects page for more.
No matching funds are required.
Grant recipients will receive their funding in two payments:
- For most projects, the first payment will equal 50 percent of the agreed upon funding amount. It will be sent to the grantee as soon as the agreement has been signed by the MWMO.
- The second payment will equal up to 50 percent of the remaining, approved amount of funding. This amount will be sent to the grantee after the MWMO approves the project completion.
Funding can only be used for activities that occur after the Agreement has been signed.
Funding can only be provided for actual, documented expenses, up the approved amount of funding.
Applicants are strongly encouraged to contact the MWMO to discuss ideas and ask questions before submitting a pre-application.
Mini Grants Overview (PDF, 0.2 MB, 5 pages)